Thursday, December 3, 2009

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold


Susie Salmon is a 14-year-old girl who is brutally raped and murdered by the creepy next door neighbor. Most of the novel takes place in the "in between," as Susie describes it. A place that she considers to be a sort of heaven for her. From there she watches over her distraught family as they are torn apart over her murder and as they search for her murderer.

This novel deals with grief, coming to terms with loss, and finding inner strength. I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with the loss of a loved one. I also recommend it to people who like novels that deal with the "supernatural." A great read!!

2 comments:

The Librarian said...

So glad you are writing for us, Island Girl - keep 'em coming! I read this, too - it was a powerful read.

booklover101 said...

I saw the movie, and the book sounds really good. I have to read it. Thanks for posting this review.